March 28, 2024

Cookies, books, turkeys . . .

Good morning!

One of my favorite places to go on Tuesdays!

I've been busy lately! E was in the middle school production of Mean Girls (Jr) -- a lead role, Janis! -- so there was a lot of energy expenditure around that, both with her and with me. I went to all 4 performances because that's what I like to do. :) She was AWESOME!!

I've begun some initial gardening, which I'll describe in the next post!

I've been fiddling around testing recipes to try and recreate Osmania biscuits! They're a shortbread cookie that I really enjoy, and I buy a box or two every time I'm at the Indian grocery. (They're made by Karachi Bakery and apparently are a Hyderabad specialty!) I figured I could make them myself, so I've been trying!

So far, one recipe was close but too salty and I overbaked it. The next was too sugar-cookie-like in flavor, and, fearing another overbake, I underbaked it. :( Not by much, but it didn't get that crispy-ish meltaway texture. Also! I made my own "custard powder" out of milk powder, corn starch, powdered sugar, and vanilla. It's a key ingredient, apparently residing in everyone's household in Britain, India, and Australia, but it's 100% NOT A THING here! Also I'm not using shortening so I may never get that texture perfectly.

Anyway, that's where I am now, and I'll be trying a few more recipes soon. I'll report back when I get it! My family is enjoying this little supply of yummy cookies.

Oh yes, I made a new art print I'm REALLY excited about, but I've run into color issues so I'm waiting on the second "proof" to get to me from the printer before I list it in the shop. So hopefully I'll get that up next week! I was working on my book before this, but I just got really inspired so it had to happen. :D Usually I try to work on the books from start to finish, but I think it might be good to play around with adding standalone illustrations/prints into the mix from time to time. I like that they're quicker to do, so I feel that "completion accomplishment" more often. ^_^

Speaking of books, I've just embarked on a book project with a friend from my yoga class! She's written a super cute children's book and I'm going to illustrate it! There's no big pressing deadline, so I'm wondering how to balance this book with my existing book that I've maybe almost halfway pencilled. Hmmmmmm . . . . I don't want to drop the existing book for too long, but I'm excited to start on this new one! Oh life, so many choices. I'll figure it out.


I just finished two shirts for me! I've actually never made the above raglan with long sleeves before this, but I finally did (doing my own colorblocking as well!) and it's super comfy!

This is that "Znok dragons" euro knit print that was so popular -- and crazy expensive -- a few years ago. But a site had it on clearance for $10, so I got a bunch! Next up is a matching top for C. :)

I have such a big backlog of sewing projects to post on my other blog, Dorybird Designs. It always falls to the bottom of the list (or doesn't even make it on my list in a given day). I always feel like I should be posting my NEW clothes on there, but I hate how then the posts would be out of order, timeline-wise. If I did that, then when I'd go to do a backlog post, it would be all mixed up with 2024 posts. (I do tag each post with the year, so maybe it's not that big a deal . . . what do you think?)

So I've been waiting till I catch up on the backlog to post new things there, too. (For now I'm posting new stuff here.) I'm about 2 years behind!! I guess that means I need to prioritize my backlog posts over there. One thing's for sure: I'm not going to give up that blog, because a dead blog is the SADDEST THING EVER and I've seen WAY too many of them! I used to love reading people's blogs, and somewhere along the line all these creative people just abandoned blogging. I may not post super frequently, but rest assured, I'm here blogging as long as I have something to say!

And I do want that "completion accomplishment" on my sewing blog -- and a full record of what I've made, in order -- so I WILL get it caught up! [stands with hands on hips like determined character in manga panel with sunshine rays radiating out behind me] [or I can be in a panel, winking, with my peace sign fingers coming toward the viewer whilst wearing a cute hat like a beret or something, with stars and sparkles!] (sometimes I just blog, I don't have time to draw all this, ha ha!)


Lastly, here is a pic from when seriously 20 TURKEYS came wandering into our yard the other day! Maple had been outside on the lead at first and she was all excited, barking and carrying on! Then both pups just watched from inside, quietly mesmerized.

No comments:

Post a Comment