February 15, 2024

Making Reversible Rainbow Bunting/Pennants/Festive Flags!


I made a fun birthday gift for Kelly! Rainbow party pennants! I found this tutorial online, which links to a pattern piece. The pattern is neat because you can make a front and a back of a flag from one 10" layer cake square. When I saw this, a) I knew I wanted the flags smaller; and b) I knew I wanted to have the split side split between different prints.

More fantastic rainbows after the jump!

So, I printed the pattern out on a little smaller scale (still adding 0.25" seam allowances), got things set up like she shows in the video, and got to work!

Here is my assortment of cut 6.25" squares. Note: as with most things I make, the scale still didn't come out completely right and the split back was a bit smaller than the fronts. ??? I don't get it, but this is why I love fabric: just chop the front smaller and DONE!

I had a whole process for matching up the various split back pieces, ending up with another rainbow for this side.

This was a sort of tricky part! To make my rainbow go from red to purple, left to right, on both sides, I laid out my two sides like this so I wouldn't mess it up. I just had to see what the final thing would look like, you know?

Fronts and backs all clipped up securely . . .

Like I said, I had a little trimming to do thanks to, oh, mathematics not working properly. Mathematics can be so erratic sometimes, and I really don't appreciate it. I wish it would just do what it's supposed to do!

Anyway, isn't this scraps pile pretty? :)

After sewing, I turned and topstitched each flag.

Here is the ULTIMATE TRICKY PART of these flags: sewing them onto the bias tape! (Oh yeah, I had bought some rolls of premade plain bias tape and it was a joy to work with!) So yeah, I almost messed up twice, but finally got my rainbow pile neatly organized the right way in order to have this bunting end up the way I wanted! So confusing! But I persevered!

Ta-da!!

Some fun rainbow pennants for any decor need!

No comments:

Post a Comment