June 26, 2023

Making homemade ice cream!

 As you know, I love my "does everything" ice cream maker. I've been experimenting lately!

First up is a batch of chocolate chip. I cut up a Lindt 70% cocoa bar for the chips. YUM! More ice cream after the jump!

Next I made parmesan ice cream. Yes, as in parmesan cheese! It's a really old recipe -- from 1789!! The recipe popped up for me on YouTube, and I felt like I had seen it before. I dug around and found that yes, I had seen it on the Old Sturbridge Village ye old recipe webpage!! Of note, the recipes are basically identical. I love finding a recipe that seems kind of wild or out there and discovering that it has been around for centuries. ^_^

Anyway, I loved this ice cream, but the rest of my family wasn't as excited for it. I did add a tiny bit of salt to the recipe, which gave it a nice, sweet/salty taste, and really brought out the cheese flavor.


If you're going to grow three huge beds of strawberries in your backyard, you may as well make strawberry ice cream at least once!

I decided to go with the chunkier option and did NOT puree the berries.

It was excellent! I also added a teaspoon of vanilla and that put it over the top.

Next up will be raspberry swirl! I'm trying some recipes that require cooking a custard, so factoring in cooling time, they take longer overall. I'm making the vanilla custard base today!



No comments:

Post a Comment