April 11, 2024

April happenings

This has been a busy month so far! We just got back from a random trip to Texas with A's family to see the total solar eclipse. Was the 4 minutes of total eclipse cool? Yes! Was it overhyped? Also yes! Was the trip worth it? . . . not really! I'm still in recovery mode and adjusting back to regular life -- yoga helped immensely this morning!!

First, to relax and soothe everyone, here is my cat. He's been super cuddly since we got back.

The fancy dinner we had at book club! I tried to like the book, I really did, but when the main characters are horrible people who have no empathy or regard for others, I just don't find it enjoyable -- it makes me mad at the author. But anyway, this meal was delicious! And isn't that the point of book club after all? Food? Wait, I mean . . . ha ha

I made some sugar cookies for book club and this powdered sugar was left behind after dusting them. I was trying to make Swedish "dreams" (to go with the horrible Swedish book we read), but that didn't work out so I made another "meltaway" butter cookie instead. I thought they were rather boring, so I also made World Peace Cookies for a chocolate option and brought them both along.

OK, now we come to the eclipse trip. Here are some pretty pink flowers in Texas. They were all over the place. Texas is . . . . . . . . . . not a place I have any desire to return to. Nice pink flowers, though! (We were there because that's what A's family decided on??? They don't live there. If it were up to me -- which it wasn't -- I'd have chosen somewhere closer to us like Vermont or Maine, and driven up with the dogs!)

Here's the "totality" of the eclipse! It was definitely cool. HOWEVER . . . . I mean it wasn't THAT cool?! Like not a life-changing experience. You know me, I get very excited about things, and I'm telling you, anybody who's gushing about eclipses is overhyping it!! I'd say that meteor showers are cooler, if you're looking for cool sky events.

I pulled out this (shiny!) puzzle from 1991 that A's parents had brought on the trip, and it entertained me and the girls.

I had written more but it came out pretty negative, so I'll just leave it at: this trip wasn't particularly fun for me, and I don't need to see another total solar eclipse.

OK back to happy things . . .

Double daffodils!! When we got back, my yard was really blooming! I was really worried I would miss my plum trees blooming while away on the trip, but happily, they're just getting going! Phew! :) I'll take photos for the next post.


I put in a ton more bulbs back in the fall, and it's really paying off!

Chionodoxa and puschkinia . . . I still want more more more chionodoxa!!! I have them in a few spots, and along with some squill, I hope they spread! Maybe I'll water them with the soluble mycorrhizal fungi I just got for my blueberries.

These are the mini daffodils: SO CUTE!!!

Well, I guess that's all I have to say for now! Next week is break week, and we're blissfully not going anywhere! :) I'm hoping to make some clothes for myself and the girls, and try out some healthy recipes like grainy breads and things.

No comments:

Post a Comment